Transportation/ Seaports/ Airports
The major artery for Southwest Florida is interstate I-75, which connects to Tampa and Fort Lauderdale in two hours, and Orlando and Miami in three hours. A parallel thoroughfare is highway 41 or Tamiami Trail.
The region has two commercial airports, Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) and Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) , and several major general aviation airfields including Page Field, Naples Municipal(NMA) , Immokalee Regional (IMM) , Airglades (2IS) , Marco Island Executive (MKY) , and LaBelle (X14).
- Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) is an award-winning facility that served nearly 8.4 million passengers in 2015 and is one of the top 50 U.S. airports for passenger traffic. Fourteen airline partners provide nonstop service throughout North America and international service to Canada, Germany, Mexico and the Bahamas
- The Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) is conveniently located close to I-75 between Sarasota and Fort Myers featuring a low-cost carrier, Allegiant Air, serving 34 cities (some seasonal). This airport served 333,611 passengers in 2013.
- Page Field (FMY) located in the heart of Fort Myers, is a modern general and business aviation airport with a new terminal building. In 2015, there were 97,000 air operations at Page Field.
- The Naples Municipal Airport (NMA), which had 93,670 aircraft movements in 2013, is a ideally situated for easy access to Collier County and Marco Island.
- The Immokalee Regional Airport (IMM) is located in Eastern Collier County and home to the Florida Tradeport with two 5,000 runways.
- Marco Island Executive Airport (MKY) is located in Southeastern Collier County conveniently located close to Naples, Marco Island, Goodland, and Isles of Capri.
- Airglades Airport (2IS) is located near Clewiston, Florida in Hendry County with a 5,900 foot runway to serve a wide variety of aircraft with opportunities for development.
- LaBelle Airport (X14) is located in LaBelle, Florida in Hendry County with a 5,254 foot runway.
Seminole Gulf Railway owns and operates over 100 miles of track in Florida from a connection with the national rail system at Arcadia between North Naples and between Oneco (Bradenton) and Sarasota. Seminole Gulf is the only freight railroad in Southwest Florida, hauling much of the region’s building materials, newsprint, LP gas, plastics, sugar, stone, recycled materials, steel, and other commodities.
The major seaports on the Southeast coast of Florida are Port Miami known as the cargo gateway of the Americas and Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, is a leading U.S. container port are only two to three hours away from Southwest Florida. In addition, the Port of Manatee is the closest deep-water seaport to the Panama Canal and Port Tampa Bay is Florida’s largest cargo tonnage port. Both ports are located on the west central coast of Florida and are only two to three hours away from Southwest Florida.